Re: Info(no)Magic April CDROM

H.C.Lai@bath.ac.uk ("H.C.Lai") writes:

> I have had problems install Debian with the InfoMagic April CDROM.
[...]
> I have used the last 3 CD sets released by InfoMagic and if my memory
> serves me right, I have encountered problems with each and every one of
> them.
[...]
> Knowing how good Debian is, I don't think this type of mishap will put
> me off. I wonder what other people think about this CD set ??

I think this is basically (still) a waste of money. There are
definitely far better designed distributions of Debian on CD-ROM
notably from CheapBytes and LSL which seem to install out of the
box. But then again this is no wonder given the fact that they are
based on the official Debian CD-ROM images which InfoMagic (still)
isn't.  At least for me the CheapBytes Debian-1.2 disk which was not
based on the back then still not existing official images was a very
good investment.

The main personal reason for disapproving with the InfoMagic CD-Set is
that one shouldn't have to buy all three distributions and some
outdated (upon arrival of the disks) mirrors of important GNU/Linux
FTP sites just for installing the distribution of choice. I bought it
once and will never do it again for said reasons.

For German and other Eurpopean Debian users i'd recommend getting the
Debian-1.3.1 double CD-ROM set from the Lehmanns bookstore. It is a
very well done product containing both binary and source (lots from
contrib and non-free as well as non-US and some local additions) along
with a nice installation booklet. This is sold at a worthwhile price
of 19.80 DM (approximately some 7 US$ if i'm not too wrong about the
current exchange rate!??).  I aquired it today and used it for
completely upgrading all packages at home and it all went very well.

More Information (in German only) on the Lehmanns Debian CD set can be
found at "http://www2.Germany.EU.net/shop/JFL/linux/debian.html";.
There has even been set up a German Debian users mailing list BTW.

                                   Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig