Re: Debian and Red Hat and Slackware prevalence

On 30 Jul 1997, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> I've been noticing quite in interesting trend, lately.
>
> Seems most newbies to Linux, way back when, would use
> Slackware. 'cause that was the only thing available.
>
> Nowadays, since you can buy Red Hat at Fry's, and Egghead, and every
> other electronics store in the US, it seems there are throbbing hordes
> of newbies running it. (At least that's what I've determined in
> comp.os.linux.misc :)
>
> But! On the linux-kernel developers' list, most people are talking
> about Debian.
>
> Perhaps Debian's becoming the developers' OS of choice, while Red Hat
> is replacing Slackware as the introduction to Linux.

I don't know how true that is about Debian.  Doesn't Linus, Ted T'so, and
a host of other prominent kernel developers use Red Hat.  I knowin talking
to David Taylor (one of the programers of quake, and the guy who did the
original port to Linux) of crack.com, they use Red Hat.  Actually their
building their next games, Golgotha, on Linux box's and plan for it to be
released simultanously for Win95 and Linux.

Shaya