Xwindow install failure

Hello everyone,
Since getting my CheapBytes cd last week (v1.3.1), I have been trying to
install the s3 server (Diamond Sleath 64, Trio64 2meg) with dselect.
During the setup and compile process the following error message comes
up: ldconfig:warning:can't open /usr/x11r6/lib/libice.so.6 skip
       "       "      "     "   /usr/x11r6/lib/libxext.so.6  skip
and Xwindows will not come up...now if I use XF86Setup to config I can
setup the server but no luck running it using startx, xdm etc. I only
way I have found up to this point is to uninstall the x lib and server,
and re-install and X will work but in B/W only, xdm and xbanner is
non-op. I must be over looking something simple here, any ideas? TIA,
--
Man did not weave the web of life - he is merely a strand in it.
Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself. *Chief Seattle 1854*