Re: ICQ

>So, basically, it's about what irc (on a network with services) can do
>for you?
>Seems like an incredible breakthrough getting something we've had for
>several years on a lot more platforms.

I don't think (I could be wrong) ICQ does anything that can't be done via
IRC... HOWEVER it does do with a great deal more friendliness.

While some people take to IRC like fish to water a great deal more get
instantly lost.  IRC is a wonderfully huge, anarchistic mess.  You can do
damn near anything in it but you have to know quite a bit to make it all work.

ICQ allows new comers to easily learn to keep tabs on what other friends
are on line at the same time they are.  It allows people like me, with a
permenant connection, to have friends blast me a message that pops up on my
screen within  a few seconds of it being sent.  For me (getting ~ 400
emails a day) this immediacy, and convenience, is great.

The main reason I've stopped using ICQ (apart from no Linux support :) is
that I can't stay connected to their server.  It keeps kicking me off and
not allowing me to reconnect for several hours.

Adam.

----------------- Earthlight Communications Limited ----------------
P.O. Box 5301	                Adam Shand 	       (fax) +64 3 477 5463
Dunedin, New Zealand       Systems Manager    (voice) +64 3 479 0303