Re: gzipped fonts..

> Hello!
>
> On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 Richard.Dansereau@EE.UManitoba.CA wrote:
> > I noticed that the majority of the X-windows fonts are gzipped.
> > Has this always been the case?    [...]
>
> gzipped fonts support was added in XFree86 3.3.  XFree86 (<= 3.2) could
> not handle gzipped fonts.  I don't know about other commercial X-servers
> though.  ^_^  I wonder if the gzipped font support is from XFree86 only or
> from X11R6.3?  :)
>
> Anthony

I think it is X11R6.1 and lower that doesn't support gzip.

By the way, I think this change may have caused me a little problem
when upgrading to XFree86 3.3 during my 1.3.0 -> 1.3.1 debian upgrade.

The gzipped misc fonts were installed before the updated XFree 3.3
mkfontdir command was installed, so the fonts.dir file was bad.  This
caused the xserver repeatedly to start and crash.  After I figured out
why it was hapenning, I booted single user and ran mkfontdir in the
/usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/misc directory to fix it.

--
Lee Olds
olds@eskimo.com