unstable and/or 2.1.xx kernels

Hi,

I need to use some spiffy timing patches from:

http://hegel.ittc.ukans.edu/projects/utime/

in order to increase the temporal granularity of our linux
system.  (We are running some hardware and would like to
improve the real-time characteristics a bit.)

These patches are against kernel 2.1.43 so I'll have to try
out the unstable kernels.  I checked out the stuff on:

http://www.linuxhq.com/pgmup21.html

and it looks like I will have to use packages out of
the "debian/unstable" tree so I need some advice.
I'll be doing this on a non-critical computer so I can
take some risks.

Should I just upgrade the 5-6 packages needed for the new
kernel?  Or should I just point dselect at the unstable
tree and upgrade everything?  What pitfalls should I expect
with the unstable tree?

thanks,

Stuart