Bugs in 1.3.1 Debian packages

I send a letter to this list earlier, complaining about a problem after
upgrading inn.  I have now figured out the problem.

Consulting the inn FAQ, I find that the error I saw is caused by a
corrupt history.dir file.  Theoretically running makehistory as I did
should have cleared this, but it didn't.  In the end I had to delete
history.dir and replace it with the "clean" one from the package.

Really, I don't think the inn package should corrupt history.dir, and
would consider this a bug.

Another bug for the maintainer:  the new ppp package prevented me from
running the pon script as non-root.  It happens that I knew how to fix
this (chmod the pppd executable to make it runnably by mere mortals),
but a beginner would be stumped.

And another:  upgrading the DOSEMU package not only replaced my
/etc/dosemu/conf file, but *wiped it out*, forcing me to reconfigure
from scratch.

I have good backups, but again someone else might have had the program
rendered unusable.  I consider all three of these significant bugs.
The first one wasted a full day of my time, not something I consider
trivial.

Thanks for listening.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net