Re: Bugs in 1.3.1 Debian packages

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Carl Fink wrote:

> I send a letter to this list earlier, complaining about a problem after
> upgrading inn.  I have now figured out the problem.
>
> Consulting the inn FAQ, I find that the error I saw is caused by a
> corrupt history.dir file.  Theoretically running makehistory as I did
> should have cleared this, but it didn't.  In the end I had to delete
> history.dir and replace it with the "clean" one from the package.
>
> Really, I don't think the inn package should corrupt history.dir, and
> would consider this a bug.
>
> Another bug for the maintainer:  the new ppp package prevented me from
> running the pon script as non-root.  It happens that I knew how to fix
> this (chmod the pppd executable to make it runnably by mere mortals),
> but a beginner would be stumped.
>
> And another:  upgrading the DOSEMU package not only replaced my
> /etc/dosemu/conf file, but *wiped it out*, forcing me to reconfigure
> from scratch.
>
> I have good backups, but again someone else might have had the program
> rendered unusable.  I consider all three of these significant bugs.
> The first one wasted a full day of my time, not something I consider
> trivial.
>
> Thanks for listening.

The inn, ppp, and dosemu maintainers may or may not be reading this list.
You are much better off bringing it directly to their attention by using
the Debian bug tracking system at http://www.debian.org/bugs.  The other
benefit of this is you can see if someone has reported these bugs already.

-- Jaldhar