Removing packages

Hi,

I'm trying to install tetex-base but for that i need to remove all
previous TeX packages. I manage to remove almost all except babel and
latex. When i type the suggested command :

  dpkg --purge --force-depends  babel latex

I get these errors:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/latex.prerm: install-fmt-base: command not found
/var/lib/dpkg/info/babel.postrm: install-fmt-base: command not found

Already searched for this utility and doesn't seem to be anywhere.