debian dpkg problem

Hi:

My disk space is full while I am installing packages by using
"dpkg -i package.deb".
Then, I cannot access my original status, that is,
"dpkg -l" shows nothing.
The disk full is due to the log file created by configurating package.
After I delete the log file to get back my disk space,
the dpkg still cannot work.
It seems some data files in /var/lib/dpkg are lost and the database for
dpkg is empty.
If I want to install some packages now, the dependence error occurs since
dpkg detects no packages are installed.

How can I restore my original install setting..?

Thanks,

-ChingChuan