Re: first experience with defrag: have slight problem.

Hi,

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997 13:22:28 -0400 (EDT), "James D. Freels"
<fea@fea.rrd.ornl.gov> said:

> I have installed the Debian defrag v 0.61-1 package and tried it out.

> I have successfully e2defrag on sdc1, sdb2, and sdb1 by booting in
> single user mode [at lilo prompt, 'linux single'], and first umount
> these partitions.  However, I cannot defrag sda1 nor sda2 since I
> cannot umount these first.  I also tried booting with Debian rescue
> disk, going into the shell, copying e2defrag onto the ramdisk, and
> attempting a defrag of these partitions from there.  defrag will not
> run since still does not have everything it needs [probably libc5 ?]

> I don't think I really want to defrag the root partition (sda1) anyway
> do I?  How could I defrag sda2 (which I would like to do)?

Hmm --- if defrag is still missing stuff, it's most likely to be the
terminfo / ncurses code used to drive the full-screen display.  Try
compiling it statically and copying the relevant terminfo file to your
root floppy set.  Alternatively, the next version of defrag may have
an option to disable the full-screen display at compile time and to
automatically compile statically, for use on root floppies.

Cheers,
 Stephen.