FYI: new default behavior with XFree86 3.3 (was: Problem with X after upgrading to 1.3.1)

After much hair pulling, I discovered that XFree86 *now* will look
in the user's directory if the user is root for an XF86Config file.
>From XF86Config(5):

>       When an X server is started by  a  `root'  user,  it  will
>       first  search  for  an XF86Config file in that user's home
>       directory.

I don't understand the reason for the feature.  Anyway, I had a
non-functional template one there from a year ago and attempt to
debug my recent upgrade using "startx" as root.  You can imagine
the rest.

Hope this helps someone.

Martin Weinberg                      Phone: (413) 545-3821
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy       FAX:   (413) 545-2117/0648
530 Graduate Research Tower
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA  01003-4525