Re: Dialup PPP config

> I am setting up dialup ppp for employees, so we're using old stuff - a
> junk 486, an Equinox card from a defunct BBS, and 8 Prac PM288MT modems.
> I decided to use Linux rather than BSDI so I'd have a clue as how to set
> up the modems.

I've done the same on several occasions myself....

> To my amazement, I can dialout from each modem, and I can dialin to each
> modem and perform a generic login (no ppp).  I was able to get Win95 to
> dialin and login as well with DUN ... *BUT*, I cannot then access hosts
> external to our network!  In other words, I can access www.midco.net,
> but not www.debian.org (the dial server is tesla.midco.net).  I can't
> imagine that this is a routing problem since I *can* access external
> servers from the dial server itself, although my router knowledge is
> slight.  I'd guess it's some proxyarp weirdness?
>
> I'm not going to post config files here and such since I've burned
> enough bandwidth.  If anyone has an idea or a helpful URL, or doesn't
> mind getting some email about this, I'd appreciate it very much.

Unfortunately, without some additional info, I can't be of much help....

You say you can ping from your dial-in clients to other systems on the same
LAN that your dial-in server (tesla) is connected to.  This indicates that
IP_Forwarding is enabled as required and routing is probably configured
properly.

How are you connected to hosts external to your network?  Via the Linux box
or another router?  Can all hosts/clients on your LAN access hosts external
to your network?  If so, then in this situation, I'd bet that the problem
is a routing configuration issue on your external router.  It doesn't have
a route configured to the subnet that your dial-in clients are using.

Another possibility is that the default route isn't configured properly on
your Linux box.  i.e. Can you access/ping hosts outside of your LAN from
your Linux box?

For more info, please provide the output from the following commands (while
a dial-in user is connected):

- `ifconfig`
- `route -n`

Later,