Re: netscape communicator error

Markus M. Schneider wrote:

> > > Netscape error: no valid encryption policy file was found for this
> > > english language version of communicator.  all encryption and
> > decrytion
> > > will be disabled.
>
> I copied the file "policyMoz40P1.jar" from the
> communicator-v401b6-export.x86-unknown-linux2.0.tar.gz file into my
> ~/.netscape/ directory.

I think there is a better way.  I had installed both 4.0b5 and 4.0b6, and
after upgrading to 4.0b6, I got the same error message about "no valid
policy file was found".  I then went and checked the
"~root/.netscape/policyMoz40P1.jar", but it seems that 4.0b6 doesn't even
have this file.  It now uses "/usr/local/netscape/moz40p3".  (BTW, you can
use "unzip -v /usr/local/netscape/moz40p3" to see what is in it.  ^_^)

No, you don't have to copy that file into your ~/.netscape/ either.
Rather, as recommended in README.install, set the environment variable
MOZILLA_HOME to /usr/local/netscape.  For convenience, you may leave
the main binary "netscape" in /usr/local/netscape, and use the following
script as /usr/local/bin/netscape:

	#!/bin/bash
	EXPORT MOZILLA_HOME=/usr/local/netscape
	/usr/local/netscape/netscape

or, you may prefer

	#!/bin/bash
	MOZILLA_HOME=/usr/local/netscape /usr/local/netscape/netscape

(I am kind of new to shell programming, so I don't know which one is
better.  ^_^)  Anyway, after doing so, the error message about encryption
went away.  ^_^

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling            foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca