Account Maintenance Package

Hi all,

Here at Purdue the Engineering Computer Network staff have developed a
very awesome account management package called ACMAINT.  They currently
use it to manage all the accounts and machines on the network.(Over
13,000 users with over 336,000 accounts on approx. 800 Sun's, 120
HP's, and handful of IBM's, SGI, etc!) From any machine on the
network you can change any account on any other machine via a client
server arrangement.  The source and doc are in
ftp://ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/ACMAINT/.  I don't think it has been
ported to Linux but can be built on 20 different *nix's including
BSD4.2, BSD4.3 & BSDPOSIX so it shouldn't be to difficult to add
support for Linux.  It is very customizable.  I believe it was written
in tcl/tk and uses an oracle database.  All the developers have since
left the network and so the code is for the most part frozen. There is
a mailing list mentioned in the README's which is still active and the
route to get support. I have used it on the computers at school and
was very impressed but have not tried to get it to run on my single
personal Linux box at home(don't see much point).  I just thought I
would mention this to the list in case someone would be interested in
taking a look at it.

Brian
--
Mechanical Engineering				    servis@purdue.edu