Re: is awk working?

>>mfrattola@mail.enjoy.it wrote:
 >Hi,
 >I'm using an 'old' release of debian (1.1.13), and I'm happy with it. I found
 >out the other day that awk is not working the way its man page says.
 >
 >If I use awk --re-interval, it should accept reg-expr like [0-9]{5} to mean
 >"five numbers in row" (a reg-expr definition of ZIP code?), but it doesn't.
 >It never matches things like 29100, instead matches 0{5} "literaly". Am I
 >missing something or is it really broken?

From awk manpage:

       --re-interval
              Enable  the  use of interval expressions in regular
              expression  matching  (see   Regular   Expressions,
              below).   Interval  expressions were not tradition­
              ally available in the AWK language. The POSIX stan­
              dard  added  them, to make awk and egrep consistent
              with each other.  However, their use is  likely  to
              break  old AWK programs, so gawk only provides them
              if they are requested with  this  option,  or  when
              --posix is specified.

--
Dimitri
emaziuk at curtin dot edu dot au