Debian + AfterStep= no color (fwd)

Hi all,

My specs: 486 DX-2 66mhz
	  20 megs RAM
	  STB Horizon video card w/ 1 meg RAM

I currently have Slackware with XFree 3.1.2 installed on HDA5 and I
recently decided to try Debian 1.3 with XFree 3.3, which is now installed
on HDA3.  Afterstep is my window manager in both cases.

I have no problems with the Slackware setup - Afterstep works beautifully
and is very appealing visually.  Under Debian however, I have almost NO
color.  Upon exit I see the message:

Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for [color]

My XF86Config is the same in both cases, as is my .steprc.  My root window
has a simple grey background, I am running at 8bpp, nothing special loaded
except the wharf and Afterstep icons.

I have shutdown everything I can prior to starting X, I have plenty of
swap space allocated.  The results are the same whether I start X as root
or user.

I have been RTFM but cannot find anything that refrences this particular
problem.  RGB.txt is in the proper place and path set.

Suggestions?????  Did I forget to install / configure something?  Do I
need to downgrade to 3.1.2?  The window manager is FUNCTIONAL but it
certainly does not look as good.  The thing that really confounds me is
that the same setup works so well with Slackware.

	TIA

	Pat Van Ryn
	vanryn@ibm.net