Re: Off-topic: Making ALT be the META key

> Did anyone come up with a solution to this one?
>
> Is this controlled by emacs of X keymapping (or both)?
>
> I had the same problem (with emacs) until it spontaneously corrected
> itself.
>
> David

  Yes, I did receive a reply about this. It turned out to be an problem
with my X keymapping (although there may have been some way to get around
it with XEmacs, but..)
  If I did an 'xmodmap', I would have a mod1 line with the two ALT keys
and a mod4 line with the two META keys. By doing a
xmodmap -e 'remove mod4 = Meta_R' -e 'remove mod4 =Meta_L' the problem
will be resolved (ie., you removed that mapping of the Meta keys, so it
will now default to the Alt keys).
  I have no idea which 2 keys the mod4 line was mapping the Meta keys
to...

				SJG