Re: upgrading with Debian

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Paul Miller wrote:

> how well does Debian upgrade?  For example from 1.2 to 1.3, etc?

   Well, I only have experience going from 1.2 to 1.3.  But as a basic Linux
newbie I didn't have any troubles at all.  I was pleasantly shocked at how
smooth it went.  I did my upgrade over ftp on a 28.8k line; I set things up
about 10 pm and when I got up in the morning things were upgraded.  Neat!

   I will caution you, however, to make sure you read the various warnings
and Read.Me's before such an upgrade.  For example, the 1.2-1.3 upgrade
specifically said you had to upgrade 3 or 4 packages by downloading them and
using dpkg to install them before you could do the "big" upgrade.  Folks who
didn't heed that warning had trouble.

   But as I said, for me, the upgrade was as smooth as a silk stocking
gliding across a freshly shaven thigh.  :-)

                          | Debian GNU/ __      o
 Regards,                 |            / /     _  _  _  _  _ __  __
 (redwards@together.net)  |      ...because lockups are for convicts...