Re: 100 Mbit Ethernet

> Not quite.  I have a machine with two DEC 21140 chip ethernet cards in it.
> I wish to have one at 100Mb and the other at 10Mb.  I have the first one
> plugged into a port on a Cisco Catalyst 5000 switch.  The switch detects
> 100Mb full-duplex, however ifconfig still says 10Mb and I get huge
> packet loss, presumably due to the speed mismatch.  How do you get the
> cards to go at 100Mb?

I don't have much experience with having two ethernet cards in a machine,
so I don't know how much that would affect this situation.  I do know that
with my SMC 100/10 switch card I did loose a lot of packets when running
from a 10 mb hub.  I moved it over to a 100 mb hub and it runs awesome.

My ifconfig also says 10mb because the tulip driver first probes 10mb.
However, after boot up, once I start sending packets it says "Enabling
100TX port" despite the fact it says 10mb on ifconfig.  Also, my download
capabilities have shown it.  ( On our internal network I can download up
to 1.3 MB/sec =), my scsi hard drive griding as fast as possible the whole
time and being on a T3 backbone I'm usually bottle-necked by others )   If
you load the driver as a module you can force it to probe other ports
first... in your case the 100TX.  At
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html you will find more
information on this, including the options you can send to the module.
They also have mailing list for problems with the tulip driver.

Dennis