Re: 100 Mbit Ethernet

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, dpk wrote:

> I actually did this today... I replaced my old bnc/twisted pair SMC card
> with a 10/100 Switchable SMC which has the 21040 DEC chipset on it (tulip
> driver). We are using a 100 Mbit hub and have noticed a great deal speed
> increase with it.  It seems as if the only thing that slows me down are my
> scsi harddrives when downloading large files!
>
> They still use the same drivers for the corresponding chipsets.  In my
> case I didn't have to even recompile my kernel because the DEC 21040 and
> the 21041 use the same driver.  I hope you have the same success and
> pleasure as I.

Not quite.  I have a machine with two DEC 21140 chip ethernet cards in it.
I wish to have one at 100Mb and the other at 10Mb.  I have the first one
plugged into a port on a Cisco Catalyst 5000 switch.  The switch detects
100Mb full-duplex, however ifconfig still says 10Mb and I get huge
packet loss, presumably due to the speed mismatch.  How do you get the
cards to go at 100Mb?

Richard Shepherd (richards@waikato.ac.nz)