1.3.1 upgrade: getting rid of the package base 1.1.0-13 -- dselect and downgrading dosemu

Hi,

i first installed Debian 1.1 (how was it called btw ?) and then
upgraded some packages from rex, bo and hamm.  I did not upgrade the
whole system with deselect as i had neither a CD reader nor a network
connection.  So i could only use floppy disks to get and install some
packages with dpkg.  Among the packages i upgraded were base 1.2 and
base 1.3.  Now i have upgraded with dselect from a 1.3.1 CD and
everything is going well except for two minor details:

 - dselect reports the package base 1.1.0-13 as obsolete but will not
   purge it (neither will dpkg --purge) because it is an essential
   package.  It does not stop me from working but it would be cleaner
   if i could remove it. Removing its entry from the status file would
   it be safe ?

 - dselect did not downgrade the packages i had installed from hamm
   except for dosemu.  I had dosemu_0.66.6-1 and now i have
   dosemu_0.66.3-1 (the version in bo).

--
Laurent.