Re: bash won't see existing binaries

Emilio Lopes <Emilio.Lopes@Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE> writes:

> JT> After installing the 'unstable' package wn_1.17.11-1.deb the
> JT> installation failed with a (for me) mysterious error: bash says
> JT> "/usr/sbin/wn: No such file or directory", and the same thing with
> JT> all other executables which belongs to WN, but all files _are_
> JT> correctly installed (in my opinion).
>
> JT> The binaries really are in /usr/sbin, they have the same file
> JT> permissions as all other files in the same dir (ls -l says
> JT> "-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 86232 Jun 9 21:28 /usr/sbin/wn"), which wn
> JT> says "/usr/sbin/wn", but the server won't start at all -- neither
> JT> through inetd nor as standalone (swn).
>
> JT> Is there an explanation (and better: a solution) to this strange
> JT> behaviour?
>
> Is this wn a script? Such messages come when you try to run a script,
> but the interpreter can't be found.
>
> It may indicate a dependence problem in wn.

No, definitively not ("file /usr/sbin/wn" shows "/usr/sbin/wn: ELF 32-bit LSB
executable, Intel 386, version 1, stripped") -- BTW, it's a web server.

I got another tip to look after a missing library and tried "ldd
/usr/sbin/wn", but this shows the message "ldd: can't execute /usr/sbin/wn (No
such file or directory)" :( ?????????

Thanks          Joachim

--
Joachim Trinkwitz                            email: jtr@uni-bonn.de
CIP-Pool Anglistik, Germanistik,             phone: 0228-737565