Re: XF86 3.3-3

> My flicker
> (or more nearly pulsing (of xdm repeatedly trying to start?)) was quite
> nasty, so I quickly rebooted with the rescue disk, deleted
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm, rebooted from the harddisk, and downgraded. Is 3.3
> choking on my old configs? Or could it have been the S3 server?

I had a similar problem on a new install.  Running /etc/init.d/xdm start
just caused the current console screen to start blinking continuously.
Keyboard would lock up.  The only way I managed to get in was via telnet.
Killing xdm solved the problem.

This was almost new install - I was actually upgrading from 3.2 to 3.3 at
the time. After poking around for a bit and not finding anything obviously
wrong, I decided to restart the install using the newly available Debian
1.3.1.

I've got things working now... sort of.  Now, /etc/init.d/xdm start seems
to just hang without adversly affecting the system.  No log messages, no X
startup, nothing....  However, I can startx from the prompt and everything
works fine....  Go figure.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.  TIA.

Video - S3 Trio64
Debian - 1.3.1

Later,

Kevin Traas