Re: bash won't see existing binaries

Joachim Trinkwitz <upp105@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de> writes:

> After installing the 'unstable' package wn_1.17.11-1.deb the installation
> failed with a (for me) mysterious error: bash says "/usr/sbin/wn: No such file
> or directory", and the same thing with all other executables which belongs to
> WN, but all files _are_ correctly installed (in my opinion).

As described in the original ELF HOWTO, when you get this message
mysteriously, it usually means you don't have the correct dynamic
loader.  In your case, you probably need to install libc6 and ldso
from unstable as well.  If this is the problem and wn doesn't depend
on libc6, this is a bug.

As to why bash complains, I think it must be because the execve
syscall itself fails.  Does anyone know what actually happens?

--
		   Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

"these are not inherent flaws in the operating system -- they don't happen by
 accident.  They are the result of deliberate and well-thought-out efforts."