Re: bash won't see existing binaries

    JT> After installing the 'unstable' package wn_1.17.11-1.deb
    JT> the installation failed with a (for me) mysterious error:
    JT> bash says "/usr/sbin/wn: No such file or directory", and
    JT> the same thing with all other executables which belongs to
    JT> WN, but all files _are_ correctly installed (in my
    JT> opinion).

    JT> The binaries really are in /usr/sbin, they have the same
    JT> file permissions as all other files in the same dir (ls -l
    JT> says "-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 86232 Jun 9 21:28
    JT> /usr/sbin/wn"), which wn says "/usr/sbin/wn", but the
    JT> server won't start at all -- neither through inetd nor as
    JT> standalone (swn).

    JT> Is there an explanation (and better: a solution) to this
    JT> strange behaviour?

Hi Joachim -

This is something I always find *very* confusing.  It's hard to
distinguish what program is saying it can't find what other program in
that error message.  Although it looks like bash is saying it can't find
wn, the message is actually bash reporting for wn, saying that wn can't
find something it's looking for.  (Leastaways that's how it looks from
here; it really is confusing.)

I'm not sure what you are missing in this case; in general it could be a
library, or an executable.  I couldn't test-install wn on my system,
since it would conflict with apache, but I downloaded the
wn_1.17.11-1.deb file, and extracted the wn binary.  It only depended on
libc5, and I don't believe you can get away without that on a debian
system yet:

	$ldd /usr/local/src/wn
         libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5 (0x4000e000)

Still, since you have all the wn binaries in place, it'd seem like some
kind of library problem.  I agree with Emilio that some dependency seems
to be broken.  Since you can't execute wn, I think that 'ldd' on it
won't work either.  You can use 'strings' to try and see what else that
binary might be looking for.  Let's see, from the 'wn' binary in the
above package, I only get:

	/lib/ld-linux.so.2
	libc.so.5

as things that look like references to external files.  Do you not have
ld-linux.so.2?  I can't remember; that isn't on any Debian system older
than 'hamm', the current unstable, right?  Mm, no, I don't think it is:

	$dpkg -S ld-linux.so.2
	 libc6: /lib/ld-linux.so.2

So, it looks to me like wn_1.17.11-1.deb needs libc6 but doesn't list
that among its dependencies.  You don't have libc6 installed on your
system, do you?  That's my guess.  So, you could install wn_1.17.0-5.deb
from stable, or start upgrading to libc6 and the packages in unstable.
You could submit a bug report on wn, too.

Does that fit with what you see on your system?  Hope it helps,

--
Ed Donovan					ed@capecod.net