Re: XF86 3.3-3

Christopher Jason Morrone wrote:

> I upgraded from 3.2 using the 3.3-3 packages, and now when I try to startx,
> the screen flickers and goes black, and the keyboard locks up.
>
> I'm using the S3 server(#9 motion 771 card), and he's using standard SVGA for
> his Trident I believe.
>
> In any case, the XF86 3.3 packages are definitely broken.  I'd fill out a
> bug report, but unfortunately, I can't be any more specific than that
> right now.

I had the same problem with an S3 Trio 64 V+ graphics card. My flicker
(or more nearly pulsing (of xdm repeatedly trying to start?)) was quite
nasty, so I quickly rebooted with the rescue disk, deleted
/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm, rebooted from the harddisk, and downgraded. Is 3.3
choking on my old configs? Or could it have been the S3 server?

Greetings,
Stefan

--
Stefan Baums