How to compile kernel with debian?

Hello everyone,

I used to have a slackware system and thus got used to the old
rigamorole involved in compiling a new kernel.  However, with debian,
there seems to be more steps involved (at least, there are debian
readmes distributed with the kernel source, and supposedly some sort
of debian makefile).

Can somebody please explain or point me towards where it is explained
just exactly what is different between compiling a kernel on debian
and compiling a kernel 'normally'.

Thanks,

               Max Stevens   jomstevens@uwaterloo.ca
          Max is a sagittarius but Max's family owns a taurus.
                  This is the dichotomy that is Max.