Re: Dependency problem got me stumped....

> I want to compile the kernel-29 or kernel-30 source and I want to be able
> to use "make menuconfig". The problem is:
>
>   kernel-source-2.0.29 suggests ncurses-dev (for menuconfig)
>   kernel-source-2.0.29 recommends gcc
>   ncurses-dev depends on libc5-dev
>   gcc conflicts with libc5-dev

You must be getting packages from unstable.  Unstable gcc is configured to
work with libc6, hence it conflicts with libc5-dev.  in order to compile with
libc5 while using unstable, you need to get altgcc, libc5-altdev and other
relevant altdev packages (ncurses3-altdev in this case).  However, you can
just get the ncurses3.4-dev which is compiled with libc6 and you would not
need to use any of alt* packages.  Unfortunately, ncurses3.4-dev is still
stuck in the Incoming, I think.

> Now, I suppose that I *could* install the kernel and ncurses to *configure*
> and then remove ncurses and then install gcc to compile, but this is, as an
> associate likes to say, "functional, yet dysfunctional".

That wouldn't work, because you need to compile the menuconfig front end.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com