Dependency problem got me stumped....

I want to compile the kernel-29 or kernel-30 source and I want to be able
to use "make menuconfig". The problem is:

  kernel-source-2.0.29 suggests ncurses-dev (for menuconfig)
  kernel-source-2.0.29 recommends gcc
  ncurses-dev depends on libc5-dev
  gcc conflicts with libc5-dev

Now, I suppose that I *could* install the kernel and ncurses to *configure*
and then remove ncurses and then install gcc to compile, but this is, as an
associate likes to say, "functional, yet dysfunctional".

I've also noticed several other problems like this... where a chain of
dependencies ultimately bring you to a package that conflicts with something
else in the dependency chain.

Any suggestions on how to fix this, or when the problem will be fixed?

- Joe