Re: Total Newbie partition question

On Sun, 06 Jul 1997 15:34:46 -0700, Dan Hugo <dhugo@reallycool.com> wrote:

> What to I do with extended and logical partitions when I have three
> physical paritions on my drive already?
>
> In other words, I have hda1,hda2,hda3, and I would like to add more than
> hda4.  Assuming I am using fdisk, how to I properly add the logical
> partitions?  Do I make the remaining drive space an extended partition
> and then add logical paritions there?  Am I mixing up the terms?

     In fdisk, give the 'n' command.  When asked primary or extended
choose 'e' for extended.  Give starting and ending cylinders to use
all available space.  Then give the 'n' command, and choose 'l' for
logical.  Assign starting and ending cylinders for the size you want;
repeat until all logical partitions you want and can fit on the disk
are defined.  Then give the 'p' command and study the partition table
carefully.  When you are satisifed with the results, check it again
(this is analogous to the old carpenter's rule of measure twice, cut
once), then give the 'w' command.

Bob