ppp_on_boot -- modifying behavior ?

In the debian startup scrips, /etc/init.d/ppp starts
ppp if /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot exist.

I want ppp to start automatically like this, but I
would like to use /usr/bin/poff to bring down
the connection as an ordinary user.

I planned to use "su -c" to execute the ppp startup
as a specific, unpriviliged user; but I haven't been
able to get the shell syntax correct.

How should I modify this script (attached) to do this?

Sincerely,
Jon Shickel

relevent portion from startu script
____

case "$1" in
  start)
      start-stop-daemon --start --verbose --exec /usr/sbin/pppd -- \
	connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp.chatscript" `cat /etc/ppp.options_out`
    ;;