Re: mc problem

On 5 Jul 1997, Michael Harnois wrote:

> you should be able to see what the shell returned. When I hit enter on
> binutils_2.8.1-2.deb, for example, I get
>
> ./binutils_2.8.1-2.deb: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `!<arch>'
> ./binutils_2.8.1-2.deb: line 1: `!<arch>'

I think I know what this problem is. It's probably related to {v,}fat
partitions. In that case, the solution would be very easy.

In order to reproduce your results I first patched my mc.ext file to do
the .deb things again and started mc. I `entered' on automake_1.0-4.deb
and it works fine for me.

But look what happens when I do this:

# chmod +x automake_1.0-4.deb

Now, `entering' the .deb gives output on the command line:

# ./automake_1.0-4.deb
./automake_1.0-4.deb: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `!<arch>'
./automake_1.0-4.deb: line 1: `!<arch>'

Figure how come that happens..

Look at the permissions on the files on your {v,}fat partition; I bet
they're all executable.. Note that the permissions don't miraculously
change when you move or copy files to an ext2 partition.

I have two questions for the more knowledgable WRT mc internals:

$ locate mc.ext
/etc/mc.ext
/etc/mc/mc.ext
/etc/mc/mc.ext.dpkg-old
/usr/lib/mc/mc.ext
/usr/lib/mc/mc.ext.dpkg-old

The latter two are symlinks to their counterparts in /etc/mc/ .
I can understand the case for mc.ext , but why is mc.ext.dpkg-old
also symlinked to /usr/lib/ ?
Why is there an mc.ext in /etc/ besides the one in /etc/mc/ ?

Why does (amongst other keys) <F3> not work in an xterm{-color} ?

My mc is:

$ dpkg -l mc
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge