Re: mc problem

On 05-Jul-97 Paul Seelig wrote:
  dayear@codenet.net (David Puryear) writes:

  > In your /etc/mc/mc.ext you should have these:
  >
  > # deb
  > regex/\.deb$
  >         Open=%cd deb:%d/%p/
  >         View=%view{ascii} dpkg-deb -c %f
  >
  > A while back, I reported this as bug, but I guess it was not fixed.

  I'll report this to the MC upstream maintainer Miguel de Icaza for
  inclusion into the regular MC distribution.  He was already so nice to
  include support for *.deb in the main source code upon my request a
  few months ago.  Another milestone in making Debian packaging a de
  facto standard besides RPM. ;-)
                                      Cheers, P. *8^)

Sorry, I should have mentioned that this doesn't happen with upstream source
distribution.:)

In another interesting note, when I replace mc.ext from mc-4 source to
/etc/mc/mc.ext, *.deb and *.tar.gz browsing is lot faster using
mc_3.5.17-1_i386.deb:) If you are wondering why I didn't keep mc-4, I like to
keep this system *.deb format as much as possible, so I'll wait for mc-4.deb:)

BTW I'm using perl_5.003.07-3.deb and libc5_5.4.23-4.deb. Both
mc_3.5.17-1_i386.deb and mc-4.0.3.tar.gz work on this setup.

BTW2 If you have mc.ext that works for you, becareful with installing
mc_3.5.17-1_i386.deb which replaces without giving a choice.

        Cheers,
        David