Re: HELP!!! dpkg messed up X11 (?)

Igor Grobman wrote:

> Looks like the installation of libc5, an essential package failed. Download it
> from debian/stable/binary-i386/libs and install with dpkg -i libc5*deb

yup, that's what i tried right after my original post -
and i tried it again after reading your reply - with
the same result:

I tried these libc5 packages in turn:

libc5_5.4.20-1.deb (the one from my "old" cdrom)
libc5_5.4.23-4.deb (the one in unstable)
libc5_5.4.33-3.deb (the one in stable -
has the higher number than in the one in stable !?)

Always with the same error:

ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/usr/lib/libc5-compat
(No such file or directory), skipping

the upshot: x11 is still not running.
in general, it seems that at least some of the shared
libraries cannot be found/loaded, despite the fact that they
clearly exist on the disk.
in particular though: Which package creates the file
"/usr/X11R6/lib/usr/lib/libc5-compat" ?

thanks for your tip. if you or other people on the list
have any more suggestions, I would be very glad to hear
from you...

                                            reto