Re: 3COM 3C905-TX PCI NIC

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997 11:36:29 -0700, Kevin Traas wrote:

>I installed using May 30 diskette set (Debian 1.3.0, Kernel 2.0.29).  From
>there, I chose the 3c59x module (I got this information from the above URL
>- like Dave mentioned, this should definitely be identified in modconf).
>
>I tried setting various options for this driver (as per the above web page)
>and, while the driver happily accepted them, loaded, and reported the
>options as active, I couldn't communicate on the network.  I finally went
>with the default "options=7" and now everything is working great!

Where did you put this? LILO? You mention in your other post that you didn't
use the DOS config. What you said above is what happens if you don't lock
the card at one speed. It looks like this options thing is a way around it.
(Maybe the right way. The locking it from DOS I saw mentioned many months
and revisions of the driver ago)

>The only "funny" thing is that `ifconfig` reports eth0 as being "10Mbps
>Ethernet"; however, it *is* operating at 100Mbps.

Hmmm I think it's broken. If I remember right it reported some DEC FDDI
boards I worked with as 10Mbps also. FDDI ain't nowhere near 10Mbps  ; >