Re: Way to set up a MacFiles virtual drive?

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Chad D. Zimmerman wrote:

> Way back when I was working at one of my older jobs we used Macs and
> UNIX stations. Our unix accounts had a MacFiles directory that allowed
> a mac to connect to it like it was a regular mac drive.
>
> Now at my new job I am using Mac and Linux systems. Is there a way I
> can add MacFiles support to my system? I saw several mac programs, but
> non had MacFiles listed. Is there a MacFiles or will I have to use
> something else to accomplish this?

netatalk does what you want - it's an appletalk file & print server for
unix.  also allows unix machines to use other files & printers on other
appletalk servers.

netatalk is available as a debian package.  I used to use it on my network
here at home (I had a Mac IIcx with an ethernet card here for about a
year).

BTW, unless there is now a linux driver for localtalk cards then this
is only useful if your macs have ethernet cards. I have heard of a few
drivers being developed for linux, but don't know of any that have been
released.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract