mc problem

I am nearly certain that, some time back, I could put the cursor (in mc)
over a .deb file, press Enter and find myself "inside" the package.  I can
do it right now on .tar.gz files, but with .deb files it shows a
directory OTHER with a filesize of 0.

I had a look on the mc www page and saw a reference to this but no mention
of how to fix it.  The Debian mc package maintainer seems to have lost
interest and a self compiled mc-4 does exactly the same thing.

This is an extract from my mc.ext:-

# deb
regex/\.deb$
       Open=%cd deb:%d/%p/