Re: Anyone available that I can call???

On Thu, Jul 03, 1997 at 10:45:15AM -0400, Will Lowe wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 1997 bigt@ourtownusa.com wrote:
>
> > ldconfig:  warning:  can't open /usr/lib/libc.so (No such file or
> > ldconfig:  warning:  can't open /usr/lib/libm.so (No such file or
> >
> > When I look for these files they point to:
> >
> > libc.so  -> /lib/libc.so.5.4.33  This file don't exist but there is a
> > 5.4.23
> > libm.so -> /lib/libm.so.5.0.9   This file also does not exist but is a
> > 5.0.8
>
> It seems sometimes that some packages fail to update soft links quite
> right when they install -- this happened to me the other day with
> libXext.so. Try this:
>
> a) mv libc.so libc.so.old
>    mv libm.so libm.so.old
> 	(we want to remember these in case we need to fix them later)
> b) ln -s /lib/libc.so.5.4.33 libc.so
>    ln -s /lib/libm.so.5.0.9 libm.so
> 	(make new soft links pointing to the files)
> c) try again to do whatever caused the above messages.
>
> If this works ok,  you can rm the .old links.

Pardon my blunder if I get this wrong, but I had the identical problem, exact
same libraries, two weeks ago, and someone on the list pointed out that it
could be a result of having different versions of libc5 and libc5-dev
installed. I had tried the symlink route with not success. I did indeed have
different versions of the two libraries, which I corrected, and the problem
disappared. Ignorance prevents me from providing an explanation.
--
Gary