Re: octave

Thanks to the many who helped yesterday. Octave complained that it needed
libg++, even though it wasn't listed dependent on it. I tried to install
libg++27_2.7.2.1-6.deb.
When I did, dpkg found several packages in available that had the
version field empty. I looked at the file and each of those packages had
versions x:yz . I changed them to x.yz and that seemed to allow dpkg to
proceed. However it then said libg++27_2.7.2.1-6 needed libc5 later than the
version that was installed. So I installed libc5-dev_5.4.20-1.deb. It had a few
complaints about empty version fields which I fixed the same way, and then
seemed to install ok.
Finally I typed "octave" and this time the response was "segmentation fault."
What should I try next?
                       Chuck kaufman