Re: AGAIN: Help please: /dev/printer disappeared

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> 	cd /dev
> 	ln -s lp0 printer
>
> I think that MAKEDEV complaint is an internal-array-full in MAKEDEV problem,
> not a full disk. I don't know why that happens in this case. Do look in
> /dev for large files with the names of devices - sometimes something goes
> to write a device that isn't there and creates a file instead.

Thanks to all who replied, but I'm still unable to print.
Linking /dev/lp0 to /dev/printer didn't solve the problem.
MAKEDEV is working now, but "MAKEDEV printer" doesn't generate
/dev/printer (as I believed), but /dev/lp[0-3].

On a clean Debian machine, I get the following:

otherhost> ll /dev/log /dev/printer /dev/lp*

srw-rw-rw-   1 root     root            0 Jun 27 11:54 /dev/log
crw-rw----   1 root     lp         6,   0 Jan  3  1997 /dev/lp0
crw-rw----   1 root     lp         6,   1 Jan  3  1997 /dev/lp1
crw-rw----   1 root     lp         6,   2 Jan  3  1997 /dev/lp2
crw-rw----   1 root     lp         6,   3 Jan  3  1997 /dev/lp3
srwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            0 Jun 27 11:54 /dev/printer
^
So /dev/printer is a socket like /dev/log, not a link. tar'ing
/dev/printer and extracting it converts it to a FIFO (permissions
prwxrwxrwx). I can't figure out why :-(
^
My machine, with dev/lp0 linked to /dev/printer, shows the following
behaviour:

myhost> lpc stat

lp:
	queuing is enabled
	printing is enabled
	1 entry in spool area
	no daemon present

myhost> lpc start all
lp:
	printing enabled
lpc: connect: No such file or directory
	couldn't start daemon

myhost> ps -aux | grep lpd

root       155  0.0  0.3   840   120  ?  S    Jun 27   0:01 /usr/sbin/lpd

I think lpc produces the connect error because the SOCKET /dev/printer
is missing.

Does anybody have any idea how to create this socket? I've looked around
on my system, but could'nt find anything like "mksocket" or similar.
mknod only supports FIFO's, Character and block devices. I'm stuck :-(

Thanks
Rolf