laptop install problem - pcmcia-eth card can't access internet

This is really a follow up of the email I just sent.  I am trying to
install debian for a friend on his laptop.  I have installed the base
system as well as pcmcia-cs.  I have configured IP addresses etc, rebooted
but I still have no access to the network.

The problem could be that I can't install pcmcia-modules properly (as
outlined in my previous email) but I'm not sure if this is the problem or
the only problem.

Some of the errors I'm getting are:

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

and later on:

Starting PCMCIA services: module directory /lib/modules/2.0.29/pcmcia
not found.

What do I need to do to get a laptop with a pcmcia ethernet card,
connected to the network.

Thanks,