Installing Debian and PCMCIA

I want to install debian on a laptop.  The Debian installation guide has a
section called "Configure Device Drivers".  In it it says:

There is a menu selection for PCMCIA device drivers, but you need not use
it.  Once your system is installed, you can install the pcmcia-cs package.

But I want to use the ftp install option and the laptop's ethernet card
is a PCMCIA one.  Does this mean I have to install the PCMCIA device
driver?  If so, does it mean that later on I should deinstall this
driver in order to install the pcmcia-cs package?  At what stage is
the pcmcia-cs package installed - as part of base?

Thanks,