Re: LAN configuration problem?

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:

   First, thanks for all your info and help...

> So, this table is saying that IP address 192.168.1.3 (your win95 machine?)
> is at the machine with ethernet card 00:C0:26:80:1E:73

   Yes, 192.168.1.3 (horeb) is the Win95 and that is its ethernet card.

> I can't see a problem on the linux end. It looks as if it should work
> fine. Is there anything in /var/log/messages (or in the output of
> 'dmesg') which suggests a fault with either the network card or the
> cable?

   Today I booted a DOS floppy on each machine and ran the NIC's
diagnostics.  Both the network/cable and the cards themselves checked out
okay.

   Info that dmesg reports looks okay.  Relevant parts are:
[...]
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, IPIP
[...]
tunnel: version v0.2b2
PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
TCP compression code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc.
PPP line discipline registered.
SLIP: version 0.8.4-NET3.019-NEWTTY (dynamic channels, max=256).
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California.
SLIP linefill/keepalive option.
ne.c: PCI BIOS reports ne2000 clone at i/o 0x6100, irq 10.
ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x6100: 00 c0 26 80 1f 71
eth0: NE2000 found at 0x6100, using IRQ 10.
[...]
registered device ppp0
ARP: arp called for own IP address

> is the tcpdump output similar when you ping the win95 machine from
> linux? From what you said above about 100% packet loss when pinging from
> linux to win95, I'd guess that you'll see the "echo requests" in tcpdump
> but not the "echo replies"....which indicates that the win95 machine
> isn't able to receive packets.

   Correct -- it echos requests but gets nothing back.  So I guess that
means the problem probably is on the Win95 machine's end.

> are there any irq conflicts with the ethernet card on the win95 machine?
> irq conflicts with network cards often manifest as being able to send but
> not receive packets.

   No, there's no IRQ problems there.  The networking also works fine if
both machines are running Win95.

   Hmm, I guess my next step is to triple-check the Win95 machine and to
double-check what protocols and features of Win95 that I need installed in
it...  Again, thanks much for your help!

                          | Debian GNU/ __      o
 Regards,                 |            / /     _  _  _  _  _ __  __
 (redwards@together.net)  |      ...because lockups are for convicts...