Re: repartitioning

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Will Lowe wrote:

> Ok.  I've been running linux since about march,  and when I installed,  I
> installed entirely to one partition.  Having since realized the error of
> my ways, and having filled up the first (400 mb) partition I originally
> installed it on,  I've decided to repartition and make seperate partitions
> for /,  /usr,  /tmp,  /usr/local,  and /var (are there any others it might
> be usefull to make seperate partitions out of?).
>
> 	I have close to a gig of _unpartitioned_ space left on my drive.
> Is there any way I can either
> a) partition this empty space into a bunch of new partitions and <move> my
> current system onto it,  without completely reinstalling?
> b) or can I somehow repartition the space I'm already using without
> deleting everything?
>
> 	Basically,  I started with a 1.2 CD.  I've upgraded bits n'pieces
> since,  and to re-download them all would probably take me a week or more,
> if I can even find everything ... so I'd like to avoid a complete
> reinstall.

I did essentially that without incident by using 'cp -a' (don't copy
/proc, however).

Of course you will have to edit /etc/fstab and probably /etc/lilo.conf
plus run lilo before rebooting.

I made a tape backup just in case, but didn't need to use it.

Bob

----
                            AX.25:    w6swe@wb7tls.az.usa.noam
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen