Re: .gz ??? what, how?

Joost Kooij wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, David Miles wrote:
>
> > I need to read information in manual.txt
> >
> > when I went to the /usr/doc/lilo subdirectory, the closest filename that
> > resembled this was Manual.txt.gz
> >
> > This is not readable by an editor.  Is there something special about the
> > .gz??
>
> It is GZipped. you can unzip it with `gunzip', or use `zmore' instead of
> `more', or `zless' instead of `less'. Ofcourse, these are all pagers. But
> I bet there's some emacs mode to read and write gzipped files.
>
> `man gzip' is your friend.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joost
>
> --

Yes, if you put

(auto-compression-mode)

in your .emacs file, then emacs will automatically unzip/uncompress
your file into a buffer. The buffer will be compressed if you
keep the .gz/.Z extension when you write it out again. However, if
you drop the .gz/.Z extension on writting out, then it will not be
compressed.

H.C.