Re: .gz ??? what, how?

.gz -- gzip extension.

gzip is a program used to compress files, comparable to .zip files in
dos/windows.   To un-gzip a file the command is gzip -d filename.gz or
gunzip filename.gz, same thing.  Then you can read it as a regular text
file. I prefer using: zcat filename.gz |less.  zcat uncompress the file
to standard output for reading and piped through less to control the
scroll.  This way you can keep your documents compress for storage,
without the hastle of uncompressing them all the time.  For more info look
up manpages on gzip, gunzip, tar, zcat, zgrep...

Dennis