Re: determining serial link speed?

I am not sure how this would work with a PPP connection open (and thus,
the device locked for PPP use),
but USR modems support an AT command,

ATIn, where n=0-7, and ATI6 returns link diagnostics, including current
transmit and receive speeds
(I have seen it working before, and it is probably the information
desired here).

The question is, how to access the modem to send AT strings while online
(rather, how to insert "+++"
into the data stream to the modem, then the AT command, get the response
back, and put it back online).

-dh