Re: X Free 3.3-3, bug??

In your email to me, Dale Scheetz, you wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Adam Shand wrote:
>
> > I have just installed all the X packages (xbase, xserver-svga etc) on my
> > Thinkpad laptop 755CX.  I was having troubles and assumed it was my
> > inexperience with X that was doing it :)
> >
> > I now have a friend here who is familiar with X and now that we are playing
> > properly with it we have found that it doesn't seem to be finding our
> > XF86Config file.  The file is kept in /usr/X11 and there is a link to it in
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11??
> >
> > It is dying with the error that no appropriate screen resolutions can be
> > found.  Does anyone know what this could be or do you need more details?
> >
> Sounds like you chose the wrong card information. Did you install this
> with dselect? Did you use the xbase configuration options?
>
> If you move your XF86Config file out of the way (save it under a different
> name) you should be able to run xbase-configure and rebuilt this file. You
> should change the Xserver file to point to VGA16 for the configuration,
> and then return to your prefered server after the configuration. If you
> choose the correct card from the list the problems should go away.

I have found that XF86Setup and xf86config write to different files.
The GUI version writes into the /usr/x11r6/lib/x11 dir, where it moves
the existing config gile to .old . The only problem with this is that
the old 'file' is the other end of the symlink from /etc/x11, which is
where xf86config writes.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
         "A public-opinion poll is no substitute for thought."