Re: kernel 2.0.30 causes masquerading problems

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Mario Olimpio de Menezes wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I think the problem isn't related with 2.0.30, since I use it with
> IP masq. enabled without any problem for two subnets of win3.x, Linux, and
> win95.

You are right!

> >From your script, the main difference I can see is that I firstly
> deny access:
> ipfwadm -F -p deny
> ipfwadm -F -a m -S ${NETWORK1}/24 -D 0.0.0.0/

Other people have asked me about this.  Actually the order doesn't seem to
make a difference.  The way I had it was working for a long time.

> I put these lines in the /etc/init.d/network, after my
> devices are configured with ifconfig and the routes are set.
>
> Are your route ok? And ifconfig? (just for check! ;)
>
> I compiled my kernel with
> CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
> CONFIG_IP_FORWARD=y
This turned out to be the problem.  Somehow I managed to uncheck this
option.  I've added it back again and recompiled and now everything works
the way it used to.

Many thanks to all who responded.  This list is great!

-- Jaldhar

PS.  For anyone who is interested in IP masquarading, here is a good
resource:

http://www.wwonline.com/~achau/ipmasq